Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Let's talk about Wedding Ceremonies-Part 1

One of my favorite parts of my job is creating beautiful, customized wedding ceremonies for my clients.  I became a Justice of the Peace about 8 years ago so I could add officiating to my Wedding Planner's Bag of Tricks, and it has become a wonderful addition to the services that I offer my clients.  In fact, I officiate at about 50% of the Weddings I also plan or coordinate!

The popularity of Civil Wedding Ceremonies (i.e. non-religious) is definitely on the rise.  There are many reasons for this trend.  Many couples come from different faith backgrounds and do not wish to "choose sides"- others consider themselves spiritual rather than religious because they do not regularly attend worship services, or follow the doctrine of a specific faith.  Many couples wish to  be married at outdoor venues or locations where their faith does not permit religious ceremonies to be held.  Still others are Atheist or Agnostic and do not feel the need for religion to be a part of their lives at all.

I like to remind my clients that within a civil ceremony, two individuals "marry" each other by offering their positive intention (along with acquiring a marriage license from the state where they wish to be wed.) The primary job of a Justice of the Peace or non-religious officiant is to act as a witnesses for the State- to affirm that;
1. The couple has a valid license and
2. They both said  "YES."
There is no magic word or formula which "makes" you married. Your positive intention is all that is needed.

 The secondary job of an officiant is to assist in creating the ceremony.  Bear in mind that the "ceremony" is essentially window dressing. There are no legal requirements of a wedding ceremony other than positive intention stated by both parties. I joke with my clients that they could sing the words to "Stairway to Heaven" followed by the words "I DO!" and I can sign the marriage license! Creation of the actual Ceremony Script should be as personal as buying your wedding gown or choosing your rings. It is, after all, completely customizable!

Now, where to begin? How do you create a wedding ceremony?
There are many things to consider. Traditional vs. Contemporary? Short and Sweet or Lengthy, incorporating traditions, customs, readings, etc??? 


Coming soon, Let's Talk about Wedding Ceremonies Part 2 which will describe the customary "Parts of a Wedding Ceremony."

Photos: Melinda Butler Photography, Aphrodite Wedding Photography, Carol Savage Photography 

No comments:

Post a Comment